Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

posted Jan 4, 2011, 6:36 PM by Sara Zenter

Where do I start?  The time from Christmas Eve until this past Monday, has been so busy!  I guess I will start with Christmas :)


By the time Stephen and I left for Shreveport on Dec 23rd, all of the remaining carpet was pulled up and left on the curb.  Stephen and Eric started pulling the carpet up on Tuesday 12/21 and finished the morning of Thursday 12/23.  All of our furniture from the bedrooms (master and guests) and den were located in the dining room, living room, and kitchen.  I can't say how grateful I am that Eric was down here to help Stephen.  On that Thursday, Eric and Julie closed on their house too!  We are so excited for them to have found a house and getting settled into a new life here in Houston.


Stephen and I made our way to Shreveport when I got off of work on Thursday 12/23.  Going in Thursday night, gave us some more time to spend with our families on Friday.  We were able to see some of our family that we don't always see when we are in town.  We were able to go to Christmas Eve mass with Stephen's family and then went to eat the gumbo Stephen made at my grandmother's house.  There are pictures from Christmas at my Grandmother's in our album.  After spending time at my grandmother's house with my aunts and uncles, we went back to my parents house and opened presents with my Mom, Dad, Derek, and Andrea.  Christmas Day was just as busy.  We started out by exchanging gifts with each other and opening our stockings.  Since the carpet was being torn out, Stephen and I never had the chance to open presents before we left.  So we took all of them into Shreveport with us.  We then made our way to Stephen's parents house for breakfast.  We were happy to see some aunts, uncles, and cousins we don't always get to see.  We also opened presents with his family then.  Around lunch time, we made our way back to my parent's house for lunch.  And then for dinner, we made our way back to Stephen's parent’s house for some more of Stephen's wonderful gumbo and to visit with his dad's side of the family. 


Sunday, 12.26, was another busy day.  Stephen helped Eric (and others) pack the U-haul for Eric and Julie to move down.  Around lunch time, we started to make our way back home pulling a trailer for Eric and Julie.  We needed to get back earlier so Stephen could finish cleaning and prepping the floors for our new carpet.  Stephen and I were up early so we could get our new carpet!  By lunch time, the carpet had been installed in all the rooms (baby's, guest, den, and master)!!!  It was amazing how quickly the carpet was installed.  During this time, Eric, Julie, and Thomas were finishing unpacking the U-haul at Eric and Julie's new house.  We all went to lunch together, then Eric and Thomas came over to help put our house back together.  I am very grateful for them helping Stephen, especially since I can't do much moving items.  All of our furniture was back in place by the time for dinner on Monday.  Thomas came over and stayed with us the rest of the week to help Stephen with things around the house.  Tuesday came quickly and went by quickly.  Stephen, Thomas, and I ran errands most of the day.  We did start trying to put away some of the boxes that had been stored in Christopher's room.  Wednesday and Thursday was spent cleaning up the house.  All the boxes we just moved back and forth, Stephen and I finally went through.  Stephen and Thomas also put the furntiure in Christopher's room, but that is a whole other story.  Friday, the Zenters headed down to spend New Years with all of us and before they go here - we went to IKEA in search of book shelves (and found them).  For New Years Eve, we went out to eat, then went to Eric and Julie's to ring in the new year.  I was woken up a little before midnight so I could be awake when it became the new year!  Saturday, Stephen and I made our way to Babies R Us to discuss the issues we had with the nursery furntiure.  We ordered the finish in white, but when Stephen started putting the furniture he noticed that there was a lot of chips in the paint and a crack in the chest of drawers.  So when we spoke to the manager at Babies R Us, we were able to order all new furniture in the Harvest Oak finish and will return all the white furniture!  We absolutely loved the look of the white furniture, but it will be easier to manage any scratches Christopher may put in the furntiure.


Sunday came the day that the Zenters left, including Thomas.  Stephen and I really didn't know what to do - we were now all alone in our house.  It has been since August that we have had someone living with us.  Don't worry, we are getting used to being by ourselves again very quickly ;)  We enjoyed the company, but it will be nice to have a little quiet before Christopher arrives.


This week has been busy as well.  We returned to work yesterday, we have an ultrasound tomorrow, and we have Pam and Jason's engagement party on Sunday.  We are still trying to put away the last few boxes (mainly my clothes) in the guest closet and our closet.  We are also changing the bedding and mattresses in the guest room, since we will have visitors more often!


I will update more after we see Christopher tomorrow!  We cannot wait to see him again.